We’re well into 2016 and it is time for SMBs and large scale enterprises alike to decide on the IT priorities for the rest of the year. While these decisions span various functions of the company, they have significant bearing on the overall cost and performance for an organization and therefore should be of interest to those leading it.Here are some of the national and international forecasts and predictions by experts in the tech community:
1. Cloud Computing will be heavily invested in
- Private cloud usage has increased from 63% to 77% in 2016 with percentage of hybrid cloud adoption has jumped from 58 to 71%.
- 17% of companies have more than 1000 VMs in public cloud, which was 13% in 2015.
- Private cloud has shown growth too with 31% enterprises running more than 1000 VMs as compared to 22% in 2015.
2. Implement cyber security to eliminate your data threats in 2016
3. All-Flash Data Centre for storage
All-flash data centre is a smart choice for data storage. With easier management and significantly better performance.
Capacities of flash are more than disk drive and its lower cost will make it more feasible in 2016. Earlier, the cost of flash storage was one of the major barriers which have been bypassed now; those days are thankfully behind us. Last month, Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) has announced HPE 3 PAR StoreServ Storage solution for moving towards all-flash data centers. All-flash data centers are becoming a reality in 2016. In the last few years, exponential rise has been noticed in the usage of flash. In the whole world, flash array market rose up to $11.3 billion in 2014, which further grew by 101% in the second quarter of 2015. Therefore, in 2016 flash capacities will be much better than disk drives and its low pricing will make it more viable for enterprises.
4. Collaboration Tools to boost internal productivity
5. Spends in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- Leveraging Mobile Devices : With the emergence of smartphones and other mobile devices, people can have access to data anytime and anywhere. This significantly improves the utility of the ERP solutions Since various ERP core features like dashboards and reporting features can be accessed on the mobile devices, it is one of the key things enterprises will be looking for from their ERP solutions.
- Not just for big companies any more : As more and more vendors offer ERP as along with customization ERP is becoming more useful and accessible to the smaller enterprises
6. Data Analytics - IOT and Artificial Intelligence
7. Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Software
CIOs have a key role to play in selecting technology which enables quicker business expansion and chart out new industry frontiers. CIOs should work with other business leaders to determine which technology trends (listed above or others) will impact their organizations the most.